@DailyNation

We are proud of our work in last year’s polls, says Chebukati

2 months ago, 12 Sep 21:59

By: Patrick Lang'at

The electoral commission on Wednesday used the dismissal of 90 per cent of the 300 election petitions as an indication of a well-managed 2017 poll despite the annulment of the presidential election.

The Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) chairman Wafula Chebukati told a post-poll evaluation forum that the agency had done a good job.

“The commission did well, and we are proud of what we did. Out of the 14,523 candidates we had, only 25 of the 300 that were dissatisfied with the way we conducted the polls succeeded in the courts,” said Mr Chebukati at the Sarova Panafric Hotel, where the IEBC is holding a two-day national post-election evaluation meeting.

A total of 388 petitions were filed in courts after the election, most of them given traction by the historic decision by the Supreme Court to invalidate the re-election of President Uhuru Kenyatta citing “illegalities, and irregularities”.

PETITIONS INCREASED

Of the 388 cases, 88 were those challenging the nomination of various candidates by parties to different seats.
Of the 209 appeals at the Supreme Court, Court of Appeal and the High Court, at least 56 per cent of them had been dismissed by July 27, when the Judiciary released its latest logs of the petitions.
And while the petitions increased in number in 2017 from the 188 lodged in the previous General Election, the rate of success declined, with 24 of the 2013 poll cases allowed against 115 that were dismissed, 17 that were withdrawn, and 31 struck out on technical grounds.
On Wednesday, Mr Chebukati asked Parliament and the Treasury to ensure a continuous funding of the commission, saying lump sum release of funds very close to the elections was ineffective.

ESTABLISH IEBC FUND
“The election cycle never ends, and we have activities that should be funded throughout the time,” Mr Chebukati said, calling for the establishment of the IEBC Fund”
Speaking at the forum, National Assembly Justice and Legal Affairs Committee chairman William Cheptumo described the lack of quorum to conduct plenary at the IEBC as issue that should be fixed.
Four of the seven commissioners left their jobs at the commission leaving only Mr Chebukati, Mr Boya Molu, and Prof Abdi Guliye at work

More judgements are on the way towards the end of January and early February.


Read More


Category: topnews news politics

Suggested

10 minutes
@CITIZENTV - By: Reuters
Ranieri prioritises shoring up Fulham’s leaky defence

Ranieri's title-winning season at Leicester was built on a solid defensive platform with a squad willing to scrap for every point ...

Category: topnews news sports
21 minutes
@DailyNation - By: Faith Oneya
ONEYA: Let’s talk about sex

We treat it with hypocrisy and self-righteousness instead of facing the problem head-on. ...

Category: topnews news
1 hours ago, 12:41
@DailyNation - By: Bbc Sport
Five Africa Cup of Nations facts

South Africa and Uganda have not conceded in four matches. ...

Category: topnews news
1 hours ago, 12:30
@CITIZENTV - By: Citizen Reporter
Senate orders Governor Mutua to release MCA salaries

Machakos Governor Alfred Mutua has been ordered by the Senate Public Accounts and Investment Committee (CPAIC) to release salaries of Members of County Assembly. ...

Category: topnews news
1 hours ago, 12:20
@DailyNation - By: Maurice Matheka
Obado gets second night in cell after guns found in EACC raids.

Prosecution wants the governor held 15 days for probe into guns case. ...

Category: topnews news
10 minutes
@CapitalFMNews - By: Simon Ndonga
Court orders Obado to be detained until Friday

NAIROBI, Kenya, Nov 15 - Migori Governor Okoth Obado will spend another night in custody to await a court ruling on whether he should be detained for 15 - Kenya breaking news | Kenya news today | Capi ...

Category: topnews

@DailyNation

We are proud of our work in last year’s polls, says Chebukati

2 months ago, 12 Sep 21:59

By: Patrick Lang'at

The electoral commission on Wednesday used the dismissal of 90 per cent of the 300 election petitions as an indication of a well-managed 2017 poll despite the annulment of the presidential election.

The Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) chairman Wafula Chebukati told a post-poll evaluation forum that the agency had done a good job.

“The commission did well, and we are proud of what we did. Out of the 14,523 candidates we had, only 25 of the 300 that were dissatisfied with the way we conducted the polls succeeded in the courts,” said Mr Chebukati at the Sarova Panafric Hotel, where the IEBC is holding a two-day national post-election evaluation meeting.

A total of 388 petitions were filed in courts after the election, most of them given traction by the historic decision by the Supreme Court to invalidate the re-election of President Uhuru Kenyatta citing “illegalities, and irregularities”.

PETITIONS INCREASED

Of the 388 cases, 88 were those challenging the nomination of various candidates by parties to different seats.
Of the 209 appeals at the Supreme Court, Court of Appeal and the High Court, at least 56 per cent of them had been dismissed by July 27, when the Judiciary released its latest logs of the petitions.
And while the petitions increased in number in 2017 from the 188 lodged in the previous General Election, the rate of success declined, with 24 of the 2013 poll cases allowed against 115 that were dismissed, 17 that were withdrawn, and 31 struck out on technical grounds.
On Wednesday, Mr Chebukati asked Parliament and the Treasury to ensure a continuous funding of the commission, saying lump sum release of funds very close to the elections was ineffective.

ESTABLISH IEBC FUND
“The election cycle never ends, and we have activities that should be funded throughout the time,” Mr Chebukati said, calling for the establishment of the IEBC Fund”
Speaking at the forum, National Assembly Justice and Legal Affairs Committee chairman William Cheptumo described the lack of quorum to conduct plenary at the IEBC as issue that should be fixed.
Four of the seven commissioners left their jobs at the commission leaving only Mr Chebukati, Mr Boya Molu, and Prof Abdi Guliye at work

More judgements are on the way towards the end of January and early February.


Read More

Category: topnews news politics

Suggested

10 minutes
@CITIZENTV - By: Reuters
Ranieri prioritises shoring up Fulham’s leaky defence

Ranieri's title-winning season at Leicester was built on a solid defensive platform with a squad willing to scrap for every point ...

Category: topnews news sports
21 minutes
@DailyNation - By: Faith Oneya
ONEYA: Let’s talk about sex

We treat it with hypocrisy and self-righteousness instead of facing the problem head-on. ...

Category: topnews news
1 hours ago, 12:41
@DailyNation - By: Bbc Sport
Five Africa Cup of Nations facts

South Africa and Uganda have not conceded in four matches. ...

Category: topnews news
1 hours ago, 12:30
@CITIZENTV - By: Citizen Reporter
Senate orders Governor Mutua to release MCA salaries

Machakos Governor Alfred Mutua has been ordered by the Senate Public Accounts and Investment Committee (CPAIC) to release salaries of Members of County Assembly. ...

Category: topnews news
1 hours ago, 12:20
@DailyNation - By: Maurice Matheka
Obado gets second night in cell after guns found in EACC raids.

Prosecution wants the governor held 15 days for probe into guns case. ...

Category: topnews news
10 minutes
@CapitalFMNews - By: Simon Ndonga
Court orders Obado to be detained until Friday

NAIROBI, Kenya, Nov 15 - Migori Governor Okoth Obado will spend another night in custody to await a court ruling on whether he should be detained for 15 - Kenya breaking news | Kenya news today | Capi ...

Category: topnews
Our App