New governors set to clean up mess of stalled projects
12 months ago, 15 Jan 00:36
A number of first-time governors have started audits of incomplete projects started by their predecessors to decide their fate. Although they have dismissed claims that they will abandon all the projects, they warned they will not hesitate to shelve those they felt were not beneficial to the public and start new ones that would define their legacy. In Bomet County, for instance, Governor Joyce Laboso, the region’s first woman governor, in an interview with the Nation, said there was no point of “disrupting what is good for the people”. “We have our agenda and we have a manifesto which we presented to the people. But, any other good thing is welcome. We want to bring everyone on board because we know this is not the time for politics. The people want us to serve them,” she said. At the Coast, Taita-Taveta Governor Granton Samboja said he will only abandon projects started by his predecessor John Mruttu only if there were compelling reasons for him to do so. The governor said all the projects being implemented in the county were meant to benefit citizens. PROJECTS “The process of coming up with the projects was one that involved the people in the constitutional spirit of public participation through the County Integrated Development Plan formation process and also through the budget-making process every financial year,” he said. Mr Samboja, however, said his administration had formed a task force to review projects undertaken by the previous government for the purpose of establishing their status. He said a public outcry on a number of incomplete projects and pending bills, that had come about as a result of some payments not being made to the contractors, informed his decision to form a task force to review the issues. Tharaka-Nithi Governor Muthomi Njuki also shares similar thoughts. Just a few weeks ago, the county boss commissioned a water project at Kathwana – the country’s headquarters – that had been started by his predecessor Samuel Ragwa. NOBLE IDEA “This project was a noble idea and I could not let it die,” said Mr Njuki. In Isiolo, Governor Mohamed Kuti also said he will complete an abattoir which has not been put into use due to poor workmanship. The abattoir had been constructed with funds from the national government and handed over to the county in 2014. The new administration, he said, was seeking an investor to fast-track its completion to allow pastoralists to reap its benefits. However, Dr Kuti said his government will do away with plans by the former administration to have two of its game reserves managed by a private firm. Initially, the former governor had planned to seek the services of a private firm to manage Buffalo Springs and Shaba game reserves, but Dr Kuti insisted that his administration will constitute a board with qualified members who will manage the sanctuaries. MORE FUNDS In Laikipia, Governor Ndiritu Muriithi said he was still inspecting all the projects initiated by his predecessor, some of which had stalled after ...
Category: topnews news politics
NAKURU, Kenya Dec 17 – One person died while four are hospitalized after attending an end year party hosted by their employer in Elburgon, police said. - Kenya breaking news | Kenya news today | Capit ...Category: topnews
NAIROBI, Kenya Dec 17 - Two people were shot dead and several injured during a fracas as they rescued a suspect arrested by police in Trans Nzoia. Police - Kenya breaking news | Kenya news today | Cap ...Category: topnews