Nairobi Matatu ban fails to take effect as demolition of illegal structures continues - 10 months ago, 26 Apr 00:06
Matatus are still operating in Nairobi's central business district despite a ban that was meant to take effect this week.
Transport and Infrastructure Executive Mohamed Dagane had directed through a notice that all matatus cease to operate in the CBD effective Monday.
A spot check by The Standard however revealed that the operators were still in business, although the majority were adhering to city and traffic laws.
Fredrick Karanja, the county transport, roads and infrastructure chief officer, yesterday said plans to have the operators vacate the CBD had been pushed forward.
Mr Karanja attributed the development to logistical issues.
“Moving people takes time so we have to be patient,” he said.
City Hall Director of Operations Peter Mbaya said they were working to ensure that there was sustainable implementation of the ban.
He indicated that the ongoing demolition of illegal structures at some of the city's public service vehicle stops would clear ...
Category: topnews news